Thursday, July 21, 2011

MEET ALICE

I first set eyes on her in the back room
of a crowded little antique store
My heart beat quickened
and I knew she was going to be coming home with me.
I tried to see if the store owner would deal
.......just a little bit on the price.
But, alas you cannot put a price on a good friend.
She has at least 3 layers of carefully hand sewn mock outfits.
They are literally sewn on her.
I would love to take them off
and wash them, but, that would ruin her overall patina.
So, I must be content to just dress her and enjoy her
quiet presence in my space.
I don't know anything about her history except where she
was previously someone smoked....she does have that smell
If you have any ideas how I could clean her without damaging
the delicate old cotton top, I am up to trying it?
Her body under the dress has a tight knit covering,
She has an iron rod up her center and finial for a topper
Her cast iron legs say she was made in Toronto, Canada.
If anyone knows anything about dress forms ?
(Alice is no dummy)
 I would love to have a link or
hear what you know.
Alice, all dressed up by 'Littlefoot' for the
Where Bloggers Create 2011 Event



8 comments:

Rita Barakat said...

Well she looks lovely - perfect for your studio! Good luck on finding her history!

Vicki said...

Fun to hear how Alice came to be. She is darling.

Unknown said...

Awww, she's perfect! What an amazing find.

Micupoftea said...

Crystal cool!!! I found a dress form at TJMax and am kicking myself that I did not buy it! Love your treasure. THANK you for visiting my blog regularly....didya see I mentioned you/your blog recently??! :)

Renee said...

Maybe some febreeze for fabric would help.

Lucky find but it is hard to get rid of that smoke smell.

Terri Gordon said...

Beautiful dress form. I just wanted to let you know that I received one of your beautiful tags in my tag book from Karla. Thank you so much. I just signed up to follow your beautiful blog. Have a wonderful evening. Hugs, Terri

Kathy said...

be still my heart...I am swooning...

Hettie said...

Isn't your new friend gorgeous! Love that ribbon rack next to it!